What is Archaeology?
Archaeology is the principal way to learn about humanity’s ancient past. In Iowa, archaeologists discover and study the sites, artifacts, and physical remains that make up the past 13,000 years of human settlement.
Education and Outreach Program Mission Statement
The goal of the Education and Outreach Program is to provide programs, resources, and opportunities for people of all ages to understand and appreciate Iowa’s archaeological heritage and preserve it for the future. The interest shown by educators, students, cultural and historical organizations, naturalists, the public and Iowa tribes guides these efforts.
Bringing Archaeology to the Public
The Education and Outreach program has available pamphlets, brochures, texts, exhibits, traveling resource boxes, and publications. Staff members can provide in-school presentations as well as tours of the OSA lab and collections. Site tours, field opportunities, and professional development workshops are scheduled periodically.
- Check out our complete menu of public programming options!
- Book an OSA speaker for your classroom or community (fees apply)
- For a map of our flat rate fees for a one-hour program, please review our Educational Services fees
- Learn about our Discovery Trunks
- OSA Educators will visit classrooms statewide to present highly multidisciplinary archaeology lessons rooted in the sciences and humanities.
- The OSA Education and Outreach program has been a Project Archaeology partner since 2003. Learn more about this program!
- The OSA Education & Public Outreach Program has been developing resources for K-12 educators and the general public for over 25 years.
- Reetz, Elizabeth and William Quackenbush
Creating Collaborative Learning Opportunities for Indigenous Youth with Archaeology-Based Environmental Education
Copyright 2016, The Society for American Archaeology
Research and Volunteer Opportunities in Iowa Archaeology
- Iowa Archaeological Certification Program (for non-professional archaeologists)
- Volunteer or Intern at the OSA
- Iowa Archeological Society
Contact Elizabeth Reetz, Director of Strategic Initiatives, for information on these and other resources and services. Send email requests to Elizabeth Reetz for hard copies of activities or resources displayed here.